Hemodialysis And Peritoneal Dialysis Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Type (Hemodialysis, Peritoneal Dialysis), By Product (Device, Consumables, Service), By End Use- Global Industry Analysis, Share, Growth, Regional Outlook and Forecasts, 2022-2030
The global Hemodialysis And Peritoneal Dialysis market size was estimated at USD 88.20 billion in 2021 and is expected to surpass around USD 156.63 billion by 2030 and poised to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.65% during the forecast period 2022 to 2030.
- By Type, the U.S. Hemodialysis And Peritoneal Dialysis market was valued at USD 30.9 Billion in 2021 and expected to witness growth at a CAGR of 6.8% from 2022 to 2030.
- Based on type, the hemodialysis segment dominated the market with a revenue share of over 85.9% in 2021 and is expected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. The rising number of ESRD patients and a surge in the geriatric population suffering from kidney diseases are significant factors driving the segment
- By product, the service segment dominated the market in 2021 with a share of over 56.0%. The growing number of providers offering dialysis services, coupled with the higher penetration of the latest technology in the developed countries, is contributing to the segment growth
- The hospital-based end-use segment dominated the market with a share of over 81.0% in 2021 owing to the increased focus of players on establishing independent dialysis centers and the growing preference among patients to opt for treatment in in-center dialysis
- North America dominated the market with a revenue share of over 36.0% in 2021 owing to the presence of key participants and high awareness regarding advanced dialysis devices among healthcare professionals and patients
Rising incidence of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI), shortage of organ donors, risks associated with transplants, technological advancements, and initiatives by the leading players to introduce advanced products and services are a few factors driving the demand for hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis, thereby propelling the market growth. In addition, the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a significant demand for dialysis across the world. Owing to this, the market has witnessed regulatory support from various government authorities and a rise in financial incentives. These factors are expected to contribute to the positive growth of the market during the forecast period.
The increasing incidence of renal diseases, coupled with the noteworthy growth in the geriatric population, has fueled the demand for hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis globally. Moreover, growing funding for the development of new products will provide a lucrative scenario for the market.
Over the recent past, the COVID-19 pandemic has been associated with surges in hospitalization and infection hotspots around the country. The pandemic led to a growth in demand for Renal Replacement Therapy (RRT) globally owing to the higher prevalence of comorbid conditions, such as Chronic Kidney Diseases (CKD), diabetes, and hypertension. The demand for dialysis machines surged significantly during this period. As per a research study published in the American Society of Nephrology, the demand for dialysis machines required to manage the cases of AKI amplified by 279% over baseline during the spring of 2020 in New York City.
Moreover, the rising prevalence of End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD) is likely to propel the market growth. For instance, according to USRDS, in 2020, there was an increase of 2.5% of people suffering from ESRD. A total of 130,400 new patients were registered who were treated for ESRD, which accounted for an increase of 14.84% of people suffering from ESRD from 2010 to 2019.
Report Scope of the Hemodialysis And Peritoneal Dialysis Market
US$ 156.63 Billion by 2030
CAGR of 6.65% from 2022 to 2030
Fastest Growing Market
2022 to 2030
Type, product, end use and Region,
Baxter; B. Braun Melsungen AG; Fresenius Medical Care AG; Medtronic; Asahi Kasei Medical Co., Ltd.; Nipro Corp.; DaVita; BD; Nikkiso Co., Ltd.; Cantel Medical
In 2021, the hemodialysis segment dominated the market with a revenue share of over 85.9% and is expected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. In addition, the hemodialysis segment is further fragmented into conventional, short daily hemodialysis, and nocturnal hemodialysis. Peritoneal dialysis is further sub-segmented into Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD) and Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (APD). The rising number of ESRD patients, a surge in the geriatric population suffering from kidney diseases, and the rising prevalence of diabetes and hypertension are significant factors driving the segment. According to World Population Ageing 2020 report, there were an estimated 727 million people aged 65 years or over worldwide. The portion of the populace is projected to more than double by 2050, reaching over 1.5 billion persons. An aging population and a rising risk of CKD are projected to significantly boost the segment growth.
Hemodialysis involves the use of a hemodialyzer to remove extra and waste fluids and chemicals from the body. The blood comes into contact with dialysate as it passes through the filter, which is similar to bodily fluid except for the presence of impurities. This is a relatively complicated type of dialysis with a rigorous treatment framework and restricted flexibility in terms of patients' time, mobility, and transportation. In addition, it entails the establishment and maintenance of vascular access, such as a dialysis catheter or the formation of an AV fistula or graft in either the arm or the groin to access the high blood flows required for dialysis.
In 2021, the service segment dominated the market with a share of over 56.0%. This can be attributed to an increase in the number of dialysis service providers and an increase in the prevalence of ESRD. In addition, several key dialysis service providers are looking to expand their service offerings by opening and purchasing new dialysis centers throughout the world, which is expected to boost segment growth. Technological advancements and initiatives undertaken by various manufacturers are expected to further boost market growth. For instance, in February 2021, DaVita incorporated a secure telehealth technology, DaVita Care Connect, into its home dialysis sector. It was one of the many connective technologies in its suite of services aimed at improving treatment and outcomes for patients who choose to treat themselves at home.
The consumables segment is expected to expand at the highest CAGR of 6.9% during the forecast period. Significant investments from the governments to enhance patient safety, patient-centered care, and efficacy are expected to support the segment growth over the forecast period. Companies are creating catheters made of sophisticated materials resistant to chemicals such as peroxides, iodine, and alcohol. This can help extend the life of catheters and lower the chances of malfunctioning. Furthermore, the demand for antimicrobial-coated catheters is increasing, which minimizes the rate of bloodstream infections. Similarly, new dialyzer manufacturing technologies, such as improved surface contact and cutoff membrane dialyzers for greater diffusion, have a beneficial impact on the growth of the consumable segment. The consumables market has been further segmented into bloodlines, concentrates, catheters, and others.
In 2021, the hospital-based segment dominated the market with a share of over 81.0%. The segment is likely to maintain its lead in the coming years because of the significant availability of highly qualified and experienced healthcare personnel in the hospitals. The presence of a professional and experienced renal care team ensures optimal treatment and enhanced dialysis results in healthcare settings such as dialysis centers and hospitals. In addition, the growing focus of players on building independent dialysis centers and the high adoption of patients for the treatment in in-center dialysis are some of the factors projected to drive the segment. Moreover, companies are focusing on the development of customized hemodialysis machines with a variety of interventions. This is likely to have an influence on the end-user experience.
The home-based segment is expected to expand at the highest CAGR of 7.6% during the forecast period. Home dialysis has various advantages, including increased quality of life, lower travel costs, flexibility, and easier patient mobility, which will enhance its adoption rate in the next years. Similarly, an increase in the choice for home dialysis therapy among the older population suffering from various renal dysfunctions will further boost the segment revenue. The development of smaller dialysis machines that can be put on a nightstand as well as easier blood tubing and dialyzer connections have resulted in a growing number of patients preferring this mode of dialysis to maintain their independence and high functional status.
North America dominated the market with the largest revenue share of over 36.0% in 2021. The presence of key participants, significant investments by governments for the development of innovative medical devices, and the presence of a favorable reimbursement scenario are supplementing the growth of the market in the region. Due to the rising incidence of kidney failures and Chronic Kidney Diseases (CKD), there is increasing demand for dialysis. Increasing healthcare spending, government initiatives, and high disposable income are a few other factors contributing to the market growth.
The Asia Pacific region is estimated to register the highest CAGR of 7.9% over the forecast period. Over the forecast period, rising incidences of kidney failure, the growing geriatric population, and the augmented development of advanced products are expected to support market growth. Furthermore, as per the IDF, in South East Asia, around 88 million adults are living with diabetes and the number is expected to increase to 153 million by 2045. Moreover, increasing healthcare spending, rising government initiatives, awareness campaigns regarding CKD, technologically enhanced products, and the presence of newly-established state-of-the-art healthcare facilities in the region are a few other factors contributing to market growth.
Some of the prominent players in the Hemodialysis And Peritoneal Dialysis Market include:
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Fresenius Medical Care AG
- Asahi Kasei Medical Co., Ltd.
- Nipro Corp.
- Nikkiso Co., Ltd.
- Cantel Medical
Segments Covered in the Report
This report forecasts revenue growth at global, regional, and country levels and provides an analysis of the latest industry trends in each of the sub-segments from 2017 to 2030. For this study, Nova one advisor, Inc. has segmented the global Hemodialysis And Peritoneal Dialysis market
- Conventional hemodialysis
- Short daily hemodialysis
- Nocturnal hemodialysis
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
- Automated Peritoneal Dialysis (APD)
- Water treatment system
- United Kingdom
- Rest of Europe
- Southeast Asia
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Rest of Latin America
Middle East & Africa (MEA)
- North Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Key Benefits for Stakeholders
- This report provides a quantitative analysis of the market segments, current trends, estimations, and dynamics of the global Hemodialysis And Peritoneal Dialysis industry analysis from 2022 to 2030 to identify the prevailing Hemodialysis And Peritoneal Dialysis industry opportunity.
- The market research is offered along with information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities.
- Porter's five forces analysis highlights the potency of buyers and suppliers to enable stakeholders make profit-oriented business decisions and strengthen their supplier-buyer network.
- In-depth analysis of the global Hemodialysis And Peritoneal Dialysis industry segmentation assists to determine the prevailing market opportunities.
- Major countries in each region are mapped according to their revenue contribution to the global market.
- Market player positioning facilitates benchmarking and provides a clear understanding of the present position of the market players.
- The report includes the analysis of the regional as well as global Hemodialysis And Peritoneal Dialysis industry trends, key players, market segments, application areas, and market growth strategies.