Microscopy Devices Market (Product Type: Optical Microscopy, Scanning Probe Microscopy, Electron Microscopy, and Microscopy Accessories; Application: Cell and Molecular Biology, Pharmacology and Toxicology, Clinical Pathology and Diagnostics, Surgery, Biomedical Engineering, and Neuroscience; and End-user: Hospitals, Diagnostic Laboratories, Ambulatory Surgery Centers, Physician Offices, and Academic & Research Institutes)- Global Industry Analysis, Share, Growth, Regional Outlook and Forecasts, 2022-2030
The global Microscopy Devices market size was estimated at USD 8.30 billion in 2021 and is expected to surpass around USD 13.4 billion by 2030 and poised to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.1% during the forecast period 2022 to 2030.
The global microscopy devices market is projected to witness value-grab opportunities in the near future, owing to increasing investments in research laboratories, healthcare advancement, and rising prevalence of diseases across the globe. With rapid advancements in technology, research & development activities are also increasing in developing countries. Moreover, application of microscopes in the semiconductor industry is rising. These devices are widely being used in the semiconductor industry for research & development, quality checking, monitoring, quality control, analysis of process development, etc.
The increasing popularity of nanotechnology, quantum dots, and optoelectronics boosts the demand for microscopic devices.
Report Scope of the Microscopy Devices Market
US$ 13.4 Billion by 2030
CAGR of 6.1% from 2022 to 2030
Fastest Growing Market
2022 to 2030
Product Type, Application, End-user and Region
Olympus Corporation, Hitachi High-Technologies Corporation, Carl Zeiss Microscopy GmbH, Nikon Corporation, Shimadzu Corporation, Leica Microsystems, Bruker Corporation, FEI Company, JOEL Ltd., Cameca SAS, NT-MDT SI, Keysight Technologies, among others
Impact of COVID-19 on Global Microscopy Devices Market
With significant impact on the global economy and businesses, the coronavirus pandemic has put intense pressure on medical & healthcare systems. The global microscopy devices market is negatively affected due to the coronavirus pandemic. Shortage of raw materials required for microscopy devices and disrupted supply chain have hampered the growth of the global microscopy devices market. However, due to significant efforts taken by healthcare providers and market stakeholders, the global microscopy devices market is expected to show potential growth opportunities in the upcoming years.
The increasing demand for integrated microscopes in research laboratories, hospitals, and diagnostic laboratories is driving the global market. Manufacturers operating in the global microscopy devices are focusing on product innovations due to growing demand at the global level. In addition, microscopic devices are increasingly being used in nanotechnology and semiconductor industries.
Increasing Demand Due to Rising Applications in Life Sciences
Manufacturers operating in the global microscopy devices market are increasing their production portfolio to fulfill the demand from healthcare and life sciences sectors. Microscopes are popularly used in the field of cellular biology for stem cells and cancer cells research. Growth and advancement in the field of biomedical engineering boost the demand for microscopy devices. Due to various benefits and unique properties of these microscopic devices, many diagnostic laboratories, ambulatory surgery centers, and physicians make use of them for research and analysis. Fluorescence microscopes, electron microscopes, microscopy accessories, and optical microscopes are extremely beneficial for the biomedical and biological research applications. This growth is expected to continue in the foreseeable future, which, in turn, drives the global microscopy devices market.
Expanding Contact Research Organizations (CROs) Drives Market Growth
Manufacturers operating in the global microscopy devices market are bolstering their research & development capabilities to experiment with new technologies and applications. Microscopy devices companies are establishing their foot in outsourcing R&D activities from various contact research organizations to stay ahead of the competition and generate more revenue opportunities.
Increasing government expenditure on healthcare and research & development activities strengthens the scope and expansion of contact research organizations. Many CROs provide clinical-study and clinical-trial support for different medical devices such as microscopy devices.
In addition, emerging contract research organizations in developing nations are attracting new players in the global microscopy devices market. Several pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies are outsourcing their R&D in order to focus on core business segments, and reduce manpower and other expenditure. This has encouraged CROs to expand their field of expertise and solutions, enter diverse research segments, and provide a range of R&D solutions to the companies.
Opportunities for Prominent Market Players in North America
The increasing presence of highly developed research institutes and laboratories in North America is a major factor driving the microscopy devices market in the region. Investments on R&D, availability of advanced microscopy devices by top market leaders, and rising focus on nanotechnology are some of the factors positively contributing to the market growth in North America.
Growing adoption of technologically advanced microscopy devices such as electron microscopy, scanning probe microscopy, etc., and advancements in life sciences and pharmaceutical industries further boost market growth. However, high cost of advanced microscopy devices and high customs duty & excise tax are factors affecting the growth of the market in North America. Top players in the microscopy devices market are focusing on various strategies to strengthen their market presence.
Rapidly Growing Contract Research Organization Market and High Application of Microscopes in Life Sciences: Key Drivers
- Significant and rapid growth of the contract research organization market is attracting new players
- Several pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies are outsourcing their R&D in order to focus on core business segments and to reduce manpower and other expenditure
- This has encouraged CROs to expand their field of expertise and solutions, enter diverse research segments, and provide a range of R&D solutions to the companies
- Hence, increase in focus of CROs in R&D in life sciences drives the global microscopy devices market
Rise in Applications of Microscope in Semiconductor Industry to Boost Market Growth
- Major applications of microscope are nanotechnology, semiconductor technology, and life sciences. In the semiconductor business, microscopy is widely utilized for R&D, quality control, monitoring, process development analysis. Moreover, increase in demand for small transistor chips, nano electronics, quantum dots, and optoelectronics has driven for microscopes in the semiconductor industry.
- Microscopes have significant applications in the cellular biology segment, including high growth fields such as stem cells research and cancer cells research, along with other fields such as biomedical engineering
- Fluorescence microscopes and new & advanced electron microscopes, such as the scanning electron microscopes, have been instrumental in biomedical and biological research applications owing to their distinct advantages
- These ever-increasing application areas of microscopes in the life sciences field are expected to drive the global microscopy devices market during the forecast period
High Cost of Microscopy Devices to Hamper Market
- High-end performance microscopes such as electron microscopes or scanning probe microscopes, have premium prices due to their advantages and distinct additional features
- However, premium pricing of microscopes has limited their penetration and adoption in the global market, especially in the emerging economies where there is more emphasis on life sciences research
- Price of an atomic force microscope ranges from US$ 25,000 to US$ 70,000 (some requiring additional instruments such as scanners), while a more advanced and integrated scanning probe microscope costs between US$ 100,000 to US$ 300,000
Microscopy Devices market: Key Developments
- Key players in the global microscopy devices market are engaged in technologically advanced products, launch of new products, and acquisition & collaborative agreements with other companies. These strategies are likely to fuel the growth of the global microscopy devices market. A few expansion strategies adopted by players operating in the global microscopy devices market are:
- In February 2021, Thermo Fisher Scientific released the Thermo Scientific Helios 5 PXL PFIB Wafer DualBeam. For inline through-stack metrology and verification of high-aspect ratio structures, the technology, a plasma focused ion beam scanning electron microscope, decreases time-to-data from days to hours.
- In January 2019, Bruker launched JPK NanoWizard ULTRA Speed 2 advanced AFM system. The JPK NanoWizard ULTRA Speed 2 advanced AFM system combines the fastest speed and resolution AFM with sophisticated bio-imaging capabilities. The system is the first new product to emerge out of Bruker's JPK BioAFM Company, which was founded in July 2018 with the purchase of JPK Instruments AG. It was developed in close collaboration with their expanding global user base. The JPK NanoWizard ULTRA Speed 2 sets the standard in technical performance for advanced microscopy applications with a scanning speed of 10 frames per second, genuine atomic resolution, and improved life-science capabilities.
- On April 3, 2019, Hitachi High-Technologies Corporation announced that it will begin selling the SU3800 and SU3900 scanning electron microscopes (SEMs), which have the ability to accommodate large, heavy specimens and advanced functionalities such as automated measurement and wide-angle camera navigation
- The report on the global microscopy devices market discussed individual strategies, followed by company profiles of manufacturers of microscopy devices. The competition landscape section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a company market share analysis of key players operating in the global microscopy devices market.
Some of the prominent players in the Microscopy Devices Market include:
- Olympus Corporation
- Hitachi High-Technologies Corporation
- Carl Zeiss Microscopy GmbH
- Nikon Corporation
- Shimadzu Corporation
- Leica Microsystems
- Bruker Corporation
- FEI Company
- JOEL Ltd.
- Cameca SAS
- NT-MDT SI
- Keysight Technologies, among others
Segments Covered in the Report
This report forecasts revenue growth at global, regional, and country levels and provides an analysis of the latest industry trends in each of the sub-segments from 2017 to 2030. For this study, Nova one advisor, Inc. has segmented the global Microscopy Devices market
- Product Type
- Optical Microscopy
- Light Microscopy (Inverted and Upright Microscopy)
- Confocal/Multiphoton Microscopy
- X-ray Microscopy
- Fluorescence Microscopy
- Phase Contrast Microscopy
- Stimulated Emission Depletion Microscopy
- Scanning Probe Microscopy
- STM (Scanning tunneling microscope)
- AFM (Atomic force microscopy)
- NSOM (Near-field scanning optical microscopy)
- Electron Microscopy
- SEM (Scanning electron microscope)
- TEM (Transmission electron microscopy)
- STEM (Scanning transmission electron microscope)
- FIB (Focused ion beam)
- Microscopy Accessories
- Microscopy Camera
- Objective Scanners
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Clinical Pathology and Diagnostics
- Biomedical Engineering
- Diagnostic Laboratory
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers
- Physician Offices
- Academic & Research Institutes
- United Kingdom
- Rest of Europe
- Southeast Asia
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Rest of Latin America
Middle East & Africa (MEA)
- North Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Key Points Covered in Microscopy Devices Market Study:
- Growth of Microscopy Devices in 2022
- Market Estimates and Forecasts (2017-2030)
- Brand Share and Market Share Analysis
- Key Drivers and Restraints Shaping Market Growth
- Segment-wise, Country-wise, and Region-wise Analysis
- Competition Mapping and Benchmarking
- Recommendation on Key Winning Strategies
- COVID-19 Impact on Demand for Microscopy Devices and How to Navigate
- Key Product Innovations and Regulatory Climate
- Microscopy Devices Consumption Analysis
- Microscopy Devices Production Analysis
- Microscopy Devices and Management