Continence Care Market (Product: Urinary Catheters, Male Bodyworn Urinals, Mechanical Devices for Women with Urinary Incontinence, Urine Drainage Bags & Accessories, Absorbents, Penile Clamps, Non-implantable Electrical Stimulation Devices, and Others; Indication: Urge Urinary Incontinence [UUI], Stress Urinary Incontinence [SUI], Mixed Urinary Incontinence [MUI], and Others; and End-user: Acute Care Facilities, Long-term Care Facilities, Home Care, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Share, Growth, Regional Outlook and Forecasts, 2022-2030
The global Continence Care market size was estimated at USD 14.28 billion in 2021 and is expected to surpass around USD 26.1 billion by 2030 and poised to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.9% during the forecast period 2022 to 2030.
Continence Care Market: Overview
- Continence care is a healthcare field, which enables physicians to help patients to maintain and control the bladder, and discharge the urine. Continence care deals with patients by supporting their bladder and bowel problems. It is also defined as a tailor-made product, which caters to the patients’ needs with bladder and bowel problems.
- Incontinence and related bladder & bowel disorders is most commonly witnessed in the geriatric population and the condition worsens with age. Continence care aims to maintain and manage the bowel problems. Leading companies offer advanced products and entering into collaborations & mergers to strengthen their position in the continence care market.
Continence Care Market: Key Drivers
- High prevalence of urinary incontinence and overactive bladder, increase in the geriatric population, technological advancements, and favorable medical reimbursement policies are key factors projected to drive the global continence care market during the forecast period. An estimated 402 million people across the globe are affected by some form of urinary incontinence or bladder problem. Stress urinary incontinence is the most common form of urinary incontinence, affecting millions of people across the globe. Various studies have suggested that 25% to 46% of women above 30 years suffer from stress urinary incontinence globally.
- According to the Urology Care Foundation of the U.S., about 33.9 million adults in the U.S. are affected by overactive bladder representing the symptoms of urge incontinence. According to data published by urinary incontinence.com, one in three women in the U.S. suffers from some form of urinary incontinence. A woman affected by urinary incontinence spends around US$ 900 per year for routine care.
- In the U.K., one in three women and one in 10 men suffer from urinary incontinence. According to the International Incontinence Society, about 70% to 80% of people aged 80 experience symptoms of an overactive bladder.
Report Scope of the Continence Care Market
US$ 14.28 Billion by 2030
CAGR of 5.9% from 2022 to 2030
Fastest Growing Market
2022 to 2030
ABENA A/S, Atlantic Therapeutics, Attends Healthcare Products, Inc., B. Braun Melsungen AG Beambridge Medical Ltd., Becton, Dickinson and Company, Boston Scientific Corporation, Coloplast A/S, ConvaTec Group plc, Drylock Technologies, Hollister Incorporated, InControl Medical LLC, Kimberly-Clark Corporation, Optimum Medical Limited, Pacey MedTech Ltd., Renew Medical, Inc., Uresta, Urocare Products, Inc., Vesiflo, Inc.
Minimally Invasive OTC Continence Care Devices Improving Patient Outcomes
The rise in demand for minimally invasive surgery and devices to minimize complications is growing prominent in the continence care market. These devices help to prevent bladder injury and increase rates of improved product outcomes, which help to reduce hospitalization and treatment costs. For instance, the non-implantable electrical stimulation devices for pelvic floor are comparatively cheaper than implantable devices.
Companies in the continence care market are boosting R&D capabilities to increase the availability of over-the-counter (OTC) products that are FDA approved and ideal for home care. Patented home continence care devices are boosting the credibility of med-tech companies. There is a demand for devices that help to treat stress, urge, mixed urinary incontinence, and bowel incontinence.
Stakeholders Overcoming Product Distribution Bottlenecks During Coronavirus Pandemic
Services for continence care in healthcare facilities have been altered due to the coronavirus pandemic. Telephone consultations are gaining prominence in the continence care market. However, in some cases services have either stopped and have reduced in number due to the pandemic. Nevertheless, healthcare companies are increasing efforts to maintain robust supply of products to prevent interruptions in providing continence care in healthcare facilities and in home setting.
Companies in the continence care market are working at breakneck speeds to maintain continued production activities and meet demands of children, elderly, and people with learning disabilities. Suppliers and manufacturers are taking efforts to overcome bottlenecks in transport & distribution to ensure continuous supply of products & continence care devices.
Availability of Alternative Treatment and Management Methods Affects Device Sales
The availability of alternative treatment and management methods such as incontinence pads and therapeutic drugs such as muscarinic receptor antagonists are affecting sales of continence care devices. Thus, apart from devices including urinary catheters and urine drainage bags, manufacturers should diversify their production in alternative treatment and management products such as absorbable underwear and anticholinergic/antispasmodic agents to expand their revenue streams.
Companies in the continence care market should extend their production in OTC products such as tampons that are useful for temporary management of urinary incontinence among all age groups.
Supportive Reimbursement Policies in U.S. Generating Revenue Streams for Healthcare Companies
North America, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific, is expected to dictate the highest revenue share in the continence care market during the forecast period. This is evident, owing to favorable medical reimbursement policies for continence care products in developed countries such as the U.S., the U.K. and Australia, among others. Healthcare companies are investing in improving the infrastructure of developing economies in Asia Pacific owing to gradually increasing disposable income of people.
Recently electrical stimulation devices have been considered as the necessary treatment devices by the Centers for Medicare and Medicare Services (CMS) in the U.S. Such trends are increasing the consumption of these devices and generating new avenues for market players. Reimbursement for the application of electrical stimulation (manual) for pelvic floor for 15 minutes procedure is covered under the CPT code of 97032 by the U.S. reimbursement programs.
Non-implantable and Wearable Electrical Stimulation Devices Offer Advantages over Implantable Devices
Only a small number of companies are currently operating in the non-implantable and wearable electrical stimulation devices market landscape. Thus, startups and emerging market players should capitalize on this opportunity to boost research in developing non-implantable and wearable electrical stimulation devices.
Non-implantable and wearable electrical stimulation devices offer several advantages over implantable ones. Hence, manufacturers in the continence care market are increasing output capacities in these devices. Cost efficiency of non-implantable and wearable electrical stimulation devices is benefitting both patients and med-tech companies.
Market Segmentation: Continence Care Market
- In terms of product type, the global continence care market has been classified into urinary catheters, male bodyworn urinals, mechanical devices for women with urinary incontinence, urine drainage bags & accessories, absorbents, penile clamps, non-implantable electrical stimulation devices, and others. The absorbents segment is anticipated to dominate the global continence care market in 2021, accounting for 72.1% share. This is attributable to easy availability of products such as adult diapers & pads and faster adoption in the market.
- Based on indication, the global continence care market has been categorized into urge urinary incontinence (UUI), stress urinary incontinence (SUI), mixed urinary incontinence (MUI), and others. The stress urinary incontinence (SUI) segment accounted for the largest market share in 2020 owing to rise in prevalence of stress urinary incontinence across the globe and increase in urinary incontinence cases. SUI is reported to be higher in women than men. Stress urinary incontinence affects around 50% of the women with urinary incontinence.
- In terms of end-user, the global continence care market has been divided into acute care facilities, long-term care facilities, home care, and others. The acute care facilities segment held major market share in 2021, owing to well-established healthcare infrastructure, favorable medical reimbursement facilities for incontinence treatment in developed countries, and rise in number of hospitals.
- Each of the segments has been analyzed in detail for market trends, recent trends, and developments, drivers, restraints, opportunities, and useful insights. The continence care market report provides current and expected revenue (US$ Mn) for each of these segments from 2022 to 2030, considering 2021 as the base year. The compound annual growth rate (percentage CAGR) has been provided for each segment and market from 2022 to 2030, along with market size estimations.
Regional Overview: Continence Care Market
- North America accounted for the largest share of the global continence care market in 2021 and the trend is projected to continue during the forecast period. Early adoption of technologically advanced products such as electrical stimulation devices and presence of large number of companies offering continence care products and favorable medical reimbursement policies in the U.S. and Canada are anticipated drive the market in North America over the next few years. Increase in geriatric population in the U.S. is expected to propel the continence care market in the region during the forecast period. According to research, one in three women in the U.S. is affected by stress urinary incontinence. This is also likely to augment the continence care market.
- The market in Asia Pacific is projected to grow at a rapid pace over the next few years due to rise in investments by leading players to increase geographical presence. Moreover, companies operating in the urinary incontinence products market have increased their marketing and sales promotion activities and investments in acquisitions & collaborations in emerging countries, including India, China, South Korea, and other countries in Southeast Asia. These strategies are anticipated to propel the continence care market in Asia pacific during the forecast period.
Some of the prominent players in the Continence Care Market include:
- ABENA A/S
- Atlantic Therapeutics
- Attends Healthcare Products, Inc.
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Beambridge Medical Ltd.
- Dickinson and Company
- Boston Scientific Corporation
- Coloplast A/S
- ConvaTec Group plc
- Drylock Technologies
- Hollister Incorporated
- InControl Medical LLC
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Optimum Medical Limited
- Pacey MedTech Ltd.
- Renew Medical, Inc.
- Urocare Products, Inc.
- Vesiflo, Inc.
Segments Covered in the Report
This report forecasts revenue growth at global, regional, and country levels and provides an analysis of the latest industry trends in each of the sub-segments from 2017 to 2030. For this study, Nova one advisor, Inc. has segmented the global Continence Care market
- By Product
- Urinary Catheters
- External Catheters
- Indwelling Catheters
- Intermittent Catheters
- Catheter Accessories
- Male Bodyworn Urinals
- Mechanical Devices for Women with Urinary Incontinence
- Urethral Inserts
- Intravaginal Devices
- Urine Drainage Bags & Accessories
- Leg Drainage Bags
- Night Drainage Bags
- Penile Clamps
- Non-implantable Electrical Stimulation Devices
- By Indication
- Urge Urinary Incontinence (UUI)
- Stress Urinary Incontinence (SUI)
- Mixed Urinary Incontinence (MUI)
- By End-user
- Acute Care Facilities
- Long-term Care Facilities
- Home Care
- United Kingdom
- Rest of Europe
- Southeast Asia
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Rest of Latin America
Middle East & Africa (MEA)
- North Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Key Points Covered in Continence Care Market Study:
- Growth of Continence Care in 2022
- Market Estimates and Forecasts (2017-2030)
- Brand Share and Market Share Analysis
- Key Drivers and Restraints Shaping Market Growth
- Segment-wise, Country-wise, and Region-wise Analysis
- Competition Mapping and Benchmarking
- Recommendation on Key Winning Strategies
- COVID-19 Impact on Demand for Continence Care and How to Navigate
- Key Product Innovations and Regulatory Climate
- Continence Care Consumption Analysis
- Continence Care Production Analysis
- Continence Care and Management